The trial of former Governor Nasir El-Rufai of Kaduna State over allegations of treason and breach of national security continued at the Federal High Court in Abuja, with the prosecution presenting evidence aimed at establishing claims that the former governor intercepted a private conversation involving the National Security Adviser.
During proceedings, the prosecution played a 43 minute interview granted by El-Rufai on Arise News, where he allegedly stated that someone had wiretapped a conversation involving the National Security Adviser and forwarded it to him.
In the interview, El-Rufai was also said to have defended the act by arguing that governments routinely monitor communications.
A prosecution witness told the court that following the broadcast, he interviewed the National Security Adviser, who verbally confirmed that the conversation referenced by El-Rufai had, indeed, taken place between him and the Chairman of the ICPC.
According to the witness, the ICPC Chairman also confirmed having such a discussion with the NSA after portions of the interview were played to him.
The witness further testified that the anchor of the programme, Charles Aniagolu, alongside activist-lawyer, Deji Adeyanju, and a cameraman were invited for questioning.
The witness said Aniagolu confirmed that El-Rufai admitted during the interview that someone intercepted the conversation and passed it to him, while also insisting that governments engage in such practices regularly.
The prosecution tendered statements obtained from Aniagolu and Adeyanju, which were admitted by the court as Exhibits C, C1 and E respectively, without objection from the defence.
Another statement from an Arise TV cameraman, Ugochukwu Agalayana, was also admitted as Exhibit D after he confirmed setting up the equipment used during the interview, although he said he did not pay attention to the conversation itself.
The witness also agreed that El-Rufai never, specifically, stated during the interview, that he personally carried out the interception, but insisted that the former governor repeatedly stood by the claim that the conversation had been tapped and forwarded to him.
Following the conclusion of cross-examination of the first prosecution witness, Justice Joyce Abdulmalik, adjourned further hearing in the matter to June 22 and 23.
Post a Comment